What is re-registration and how does it work?

Re-registration (Rückmeldung) is the process of telling the University officially that you will still be a student here in the next semester. This does not happen automatically!!
Essentially it is a short version of an enrollment process. On the University homepage you can find more detailed information and the current time period for re-registration, usually the last three weeks of the lecture period.
The process of re-registration includes the following steps:

  1. Creation of the SEPA Direct Debit mandate
  2. Submission of the mandate
  3. Authentication and Activation
  4. Approving the payment for the coming semester using a TAN
  5. Re-registration in the required time period

Steps 1-3 need only be done once, if you keep the bank account during your studies. Steps 4-5 must be done every semester. More detailed information on how to create a SEPA mandate can be found in the following document: AushangSEPA_eng.pdf. More questions on how to pay for re-registration are answered in the FAQ.

If you have questions or problems with the re-registration contact the Campus Service Center.

What are the best practices to learn German?

There are a multitude of options for learning German language. At OVGU, the FIN department has a cooperation with MDWI AG in order to provide german courses. We would also recommend looking at Studienkolleg Germany for curriculum based intensive German language courses. For a more hands-on learning experience, services such as Tandem Language Exchange and Chatterbug. Additionally, the IKUS provides free German courses as well, albeit without a certificate. Mobile apps serve as great tools to learn German as well. Some of them are Duolingo and Memrise. These apps are available on both iOS and Android. University provides Language courses in the Sprachzentrum. IKUS a student run community also provides free language courses.

What are the responsibilities of the examination office? (translation from examinations office homepage)

The tasks of the examination office include:

  • checking admission prerequisites for exams; scheduling exams and coordinating with examiner and student
  • registering accomplished achievements (exam grades, certificates)
  • issuing confirmations and certificates of (almost) every kind
  • providing advice for students in most matters of their study. Where they are at a loss, they will refer you to the right person.
  • and of course s cup of mint tea when the exam nerves, test anxiety or other emotional distress hit.

The tasks of the examinations office do not include for example:

  • giving exams, there is more qualified personnel available for that task;
  • taking exams for the students, that is in the responsibility of said persons.

! ! ! Important ! ! ! E-mails from the examination office will be sent exclusively to your official student email adress @st.ovgu.de. Be sure to check that account regularly!

Check here for a video interview with a member of the examination office.

What is SEPA-Mandate form?

The Single Euro Payments Area (SEPA) is a payment-integration initiative of the European Union for simplification of bank transfers denominated in euro. SEPA enables customers to make cashless euro payments which are automatically deducted from their bank account on agreeing to the mandate. It can be used to make regular repetitive payments such as House Rent, Insurance Payment, College enrolment, mobile, and internet bills.

What is Steueridentifikationsnummer?why it's important to keep this?

Steueridentifikationsnummer/ Personalidentifikationsnummer is your tax number which every student receives via a letter. Students need to present this document or the number whenever they are applying for a job/part-time job.

I just got a bill from a radio station that I never use. Do I need to pay?

In short Yes! Even if you are not using the service. It is better to pay monthly so that you won't end up paying a huge amount one time.

You need to register your accommodation and your roommates by registering online at Rundfunkbeitrag (broadcast contribution). It is usually charged 18 per Wohnung (apartment) per month. So make sure you register yourself and your roommates on the same contract so you end up paying 18/no.of people staying in one Wohnung.

Further details can be found here http://www.rundfunkbeitrag.de/ 

What is FIN?

FIN is an acronym and stands for "Fakultät für INformatik" - Faculty of Computer Science. So basically its the nickname and old official name of the faculty, and since it is way easier to pronounce than INF, still very common.

What type of different research groups are in FIN department?

  • Institut für Intelligente Kooperierende Systeme
    • Computational Intelligence
    • Embedded Smart systems
    • Intelligent systems
    • Software Engineering
    • Theoritische Informatik
    • Technical & Business Information Systems (ITI)


  • Institute for Simulation and Graphics
    • Algorithmische Geometrie (Prof. Stefan Schirra) 
    • Bildverarbeitung / Bildverstehen (Prof. Klaus-Dietz Tönnies)
    • Computerassistierte Chirurgie (Jun.-Prof. Christian Hansen) 
    • Simulation (Prof. Graham Horton)
    • Visualisierung (Prof. Bernhard Preim)
    • Visual Computing (Prof. Holger Theisel)

Where can I get my examination transcript for job applications or internships?

  • Go to the examination office during office hours
  • Alternatively, you can also approach the Campus Service Centre if the examination office is closed

 Where can I find sports courses on campus?

Students can apply and book for gym and sports facilities via https://spoz.ovgu.de/

 Is there any way of getting a software license from University?
There are a limited number of softwares that can be licensed by the university. Please visit the below ink for the list of Softwares available : https://www.urz.ovgu.de/Unsere+Leistungen/Weitere+Dienstleistungen/Softwarebeschaffung/Software+f%C3%BCr+Studierende.html

Where can I find a private Internet connection for my apartment?
There are few private internet providers like MDCC, O2, MD DSL. MDCC provides student-friendly offers and can be availed by visiting their office or by visiting them online here: https://www.mdcc.de/

I have lost my Social Security Card (Sozialversicherungsausweis). What should I do?

To get your social security number, call 080010004800 and give your name, place and date of birth. To get the social security card (Sozialversicherungsausweis) please call 0800100048090.

If you are harassed for racial intent what should you do ?

In any event please contact the Student Council Awareness Team and share incident with them.
Additionally, kindly check this document for more details about contact person and what steps you should take. 
Link to document : verband-brg.de/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/VBRG_What_to_do_after_an_right-wing_racist_anti-Semitic_attack_ENGLISCH_webversion.pdf

Last Modification: 06.07.2022 - Contact Person:

Sie können eine Nachricht versenden an: Webmaster